Monday, October 8, 2012

Sight word of the week and homework

Hello Parents and Families,

Today the children were introduced to a new sight word: "and"

We will be working with this word all week so do not be alarmed if your children cannot read this word yet. Today, we learned a song to help us remember how to spell "and".

I thought it might be helpful to post the lyrics so you can sing it at home with your child.

Oh, I can spell "and".
A-N-D "and"!
"And" is the word that I write with my hand!
A-N-D , A-N-D
Nicky, Nicky Noo!
That's what I learned in my school,
Mama!

There are body movements to go with the song. Songs and movement are very helpful for young children to remember new information. This YouTube video will show you how the song goes and what movements go with the song.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tNmvu_MSqU  It is a fun song to sing and dance to!

Also, a note about the homework. I have been told by some parents that they prefer the weekly homework as opposed to the monthly. I have to agree. I will revert back to the weekly homework in November and will not be assigning the same homework as KG2A. I know this makes more work for parents with children in both classes but it will help most families stay better organized and allow me to track progress more efficiently. I want to thank the parents who provided feedback. I love it when we can make decisions together!

Today, last week's homework was returned to the students in a green plastic folder. This folder can stay at home until the homework is due. I still have some drawings that will be returned shortly. 

Thank you Parents,
Ms. Victoria 

No comments: